Showing 117 results

Authority record

Abbott, Richard D.

  • Person
  • 1936-1996

Richard David Abbott was born in Ottawa, on June 19, 1936. He attended Carleton College in 1954 and graduated in 1957 with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Economics. As an undergraduate student at Carleton, he was a member of the University's Canadian Officers' Training Corps and was President of Carleton's Students' Council from 1956 to 1957.
In May of 1957, Professor Abbott worked in a summer position of the Treasury Board Division of the Department of Finance as a Finance Officer. Further, he received a Bachelor of Laws Degree from Queen's University in 1960. The following year he worked as a student-at-law at the firm of Bell and Baker in Ottawa. Professor Abbott was called to the Bar of Ontario in 1962 and later that year found employment as the Assistant City Solicitor for the City of Ottawa. During that same year he went on to attend Harvard Law School and received his Master of Laws Degree in 1968. In September of 1963, Professor Abbott was appointed the first, full-time lecturer in Public Law at Carleton University. In 1970, he worked as a Grievance Adjudicator under the Public Service Staff Relations Act and an arbitrator on a part-time basis under the Ontario Labour Management Arbitration Commission Act. On July 1, 1975 he became a Professor of Law in the Department of Law and was the Chairman of the Department during the years 1967-1970.
Other academic appointments during this time were Visiting Professor, Faculty of Law, Dalhousie University (1970-1972); Visiting and Part-time Associate Professor, Faculty of Environmental Design, University of Calgary. From 1980-1996 he was a Part-time Professor, Department of Law, and Professor of Law in the Faculty of Public Administration, Carleton University.
Professor Abbott's professional memberships include the following: Member of the Law Society of Upper Canada; Member of the International Commission of Jurists (Canadian Section); Member of the Canadian Environmental Law Association; Member of the Committee of Adjustment for the City of Ottawa; Member of the International council of Environmental Law; Member of the Public Service Staff Relations Rights Tribunal. He also assisted the Education Relations Commission of Ontario in dealing with conflicts between teachers and school boards as a Final Offer Selector and served as an arbitrator pursuant to the Ontario Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan.
Throughout his academic career, Professor Abbott has received a number of honours and awards. The following are some of these - the Carswell Prize in Legislation and Jurisprudence, Harvard Law School Fellowship, Graduating Medal from the Faculty of Law, Queen's University and the Law Society of Upper Canada Fellowship.
Published material includes "Modification and Discharge of Restrictive Conenants Affecting Freehold Land" (1960), "Readings on the Law of Environmental Quality" (1971) and "Cases and Materials of the Law of Public Authorities" (1982, 1986, and 1992).

Abiwin Housing Cooperative

  • Corporate body
  • 1984-

Abiwin is a non-profit housing cooperative in Ottawa. As a project it was initiated in 1984, with the purchase of old residential buildings on Somerset Street West and O'Connor Street in Ottawa's center core.
The acquisition was headed by Peter Trotscha of the Ottawa Federation of Housing Cooperatives. The buildings were heavily renovated with the help of the Ottawa Mortgage and Housing Cooperation.
The first residents moved in in 1985.
The Board of Directors intended Abiwin to be a place of residence free from discrimination based on sexual orientation. This mandate was later expanded to all forms of discrimination.

Anglin, Douglas

  • Person

Professor Emeritus of Political Science Doug Anglin was born in Toronto, Ontario in 1923. He served in the Navy during World War II and participated in D-Day. Anglin graduated from the University of Toronto in 1948 with a Bachelor of Honours in Political Science and Economics, and then went on to Oxford University where he received second bachelor's degree, a Master's degree, and a Doctorate. Anglin began his Carleton career as an Associate Professor of Political Science from 1958-1965. Anglin was made Chairman of the Department of Political Science (1961-1962). In 1965, Anglin was promoted to Full Professor and in 1993 Professor Emeritus of Political Science, a title he holds to this day. Anglin has been involved in numerous Carleton University committees throughout his university career, including Chairman of the Senate Honors Committee (1971-1972), a member of the University Promotions Committee (1971-1979), and Criminal Intelligence Directorate (CID) Liaison Officer (1973-1979). He also held memberships in the Board of Governors-Senate Statute Review Committee (1974-1980), the Senate (1976-1978), and the Tenure Appeals Committee (1977-1979). In the summer of 1957 Anglin toured Ghana and Nigeria, and by the 1960s he was regularly visiting Africa for conferences and to do research on African foreign policies. Anglin held a research post at Ibadan University in Nigeria (1962-1963), and became the founding Vice-Chancellor of the University of Zambia in Lusaka (1965-1969) where he would later be made an Honourary Doctor of Letters (D.Litt) in 2011. Anglin was a member of the Canadian Association of African Studies from 1970 onward, and became president of the association for one year (1973-1974). Anglin was also on the board of directors for International Defence and Aid Fund for Southern Africa (IDAFSA), (1980-1985); Cooperation Canada-Mozambique (COCAMO), (1989-1994); and Canadian Organization for Development through Education (CODE), (1989-1994). Anglin has also monitored elections in Namibia (June-December, 1989), Lesotho (March, 1993), South Africa (September, 1992-May, 1994), and Nigeria (March, 1999). In 1989 the Canadian Association of African Studies presented Anglin with the "Distinguished Africanist Scholar" award.

Avian, Arthur

  • Person

Arthur Avian was a mechanical engineer employed as a department head by Smith, Hinchman & Grylls Associates (Canada) Ltd. of Windsor, Ontario. He worked on the Mackenzie Engineering building project in 1963 and 1964.

Batchinsky, Evhen (Eugene) Vasylovych

  • BATC
  • Person
  • 1885-1978

Evhen (Eugene) Vasylovych Batchinsky was born on 24 August, 1885 in Katerynoslav (now Dnipropetrovs'k), Ukraine. After completing his secondary education in a military cadet school, Batchinsky served in the tsarist army as artillery lieutenant, and from 1905 until late 1907 was a member of a group of army officers with revolutionary aims. In November 1907 Batchinsky was arrested by tsarist authorities , spent several months in prison, and then left the Russian Empire for Western Europe. He first settled in France where he lived from 1908 till 1914, and was active in the Ukrainian Hromada (community) in Paris. Batchinsky travelled throughout Europe in 1910, was arrested in Bukovyna (then part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire), and spent three and a half months in jail for agitating for a Ukrainian university in L'viv. He then returned to France via Switzerland, and prior to World War I contributed a number of articles to Ukrainian newspapers in the Russian and Austro-Hungarian empires.

In 1914 Batchinsky moved to Geneva. From 1915 till 1917 he was a representative of the Union for the Liberation of Ukraine (Soiuz vyzvolennia Ukrainy) in Switzerland, and was editor of La Revie ukrainienne [sic], one of the official publications of this organization. In 1917 he founded, together with P. Chykalenko, a Ukrainian bookstore in Lausanne which was in business for four years, and from May 1917 to August 1919, Batchinsky was editor of the weekly L'Ukraine and deputy director of the Ukrainian Press Bureau in Lausanne, headed by V. Stepankivsky. He participated in various diplomatic and political activities in Switzerland on behalf of the Ukrainian National Republic.

From 1919 to 1922 Batchinsky was general secretary of the Chambre de Commerce Ukraino Suisse in Geneva founded by P. Chyzhevsky, an emissary of the Ukrainian National Republic, and was editor of its organ, Vistnyk (The Herald). During the interwar period he continued his journalistic activities and was an accredited journalist to the League of Nations for several Ukrainian newspapers.

From August 1922 until its dissolution, Batchinsky was the official Plenipotentiary for Western Europe of the Sobornopravna (Conciliar) UAPTs (Ukrains'ka Avtokefal'na Pravoslavna Tserkva - Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church), based in Kiev, and in this capacity helped to organize Ukrainian Orthodox parishes in France, attended numerous religious conferences and conventions and published the religious bulletin Blahavisnyk (French edition L'Annonciateur).

In 1939 Batchinsky founded the Central Aid Committee of the Ukrainian Red Cross in Exile, and was its director until 1950 when it was disbanded. Despite the unofficial nature of this organization (it was not officially recognized by the International Red Cross) and a severe lack of resources, Batchinsky helped a large number of Ukrainian refugees during and immediately after World War II with advice, documents and occasional material assistance. The documents that Batchinsky prepared helped save a number of Ukrainian refugees from forced repatriation to the Soviet Union after the war.

In May 1955 Batchinsky was consecrated bishop of the UAPTs (Sobornopravna), Western European diocese. Since this was a very small branch of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in the diaspora, with few adherents, Batchinsky's status in this church was not widely recognized. He had few formal ecclesiastical duties to fulfill, and devoted much of his time to religious polemics.

Batchinsky died on 30 October 1978 in Bulle, Switzerland where he had lived for several years.

Bates, Ruth E.

  • Person
  • 1905-1983

Ruth E. Bates was born in 1905 in St. Louis, MO. Her father, George, was a minister and her mother, Cora, was a teacher. Ruth attended the Ottawa Ladies' College between March 1917 and January 1918. Upon completion of her studies Ruth moved to New York and completed the bar examination. She served as a Judge Advocate officer in the U.S. Army. She eventually moved to Santa Rosa California to practice law, being one of the first women to be admitted to practice before the California Supreme Court. She died in 1983.

Bemi, George

  • Person
  • 1927-

George Bemi was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1927. After returning from serving in the Royal Canadian Navy during World War II, George Bemi attended the University of Manitoba Architecture School. Upon graduation in 1951, George Bemi was employed by Defence Construction Ltd., and was transferred to Ottawa the following year. In 1955 Bemi became the Associate Partner of the Montreal architecture firm, Greenspoon, Freelander & Dunn. It was in 1957 that George Bemi went on to establish his own architecture firm in the national capital region, G.E. Bemi & Associates. Bemi was the sole practitioner of the firm with the exception of 1961 when he partnered with Tim Murray for one year. In 1989 Bemi's son James became a partner. With over fifty years experience, George Bemi has produced over 400 designs and built over 200 public and private sector buildings. Two of the most notable buildings include the main branch of the Ottawa Public Library which won the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada (RAIC) Festival of Architecture Award of Merit in 1979. The other notable building that was designed by George Bemi was the Ottawa Congress Centre. Over the course of his career, George Bemi has been an active member of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada (RAIC), the Ottawa Regional Society of Architects (ORSA) and the Ontario Association of Architects (OAA).

Bernhardt, David K.

  • Person

David K. Bernhardt was a member of the Psychology Department from 1964 to 1996.

Black, Robert

  • Person

Robert Black came to Carleton in the early 1950s and played football.

Results 1 to 10 of 117