Showing 129 results

Authority record

Buckley, Elizabeth

  • Person

Ms. Buckley joined Carleton College in 1946 on a part-time basis as Assistant Registrar. She became full-time staff in 1947, and continued to serve as Carleton's Assistant Registrar until 1964, when she became Carleton University's Acting Registrar. In 1977, Ms. Buckley was appointed Assistant Secretary to the Board of Governors. She served in this capacity until her retirement. Ms. Buckley played a very influential role in establishing the University's practices in admissions, registration and graduation. She was also instrumental in developing Carleton's system of class-scheduling, examinations, and record-keeping. She was associated with the planning and presentation of virtually every one of Carleton's convocations since the first one in 1946. In recognition of her long and faithful service to Carleton University, Ms. Buckley was awarded an Honorary Bachelor of Arts Degree upon her retirement in 1984.

Elizabeth Buckley was born in Toronto, Ontario, on September 5, 1918. She received her primary education at Hopewell Avenue Public School, and a secondary education at Glebe Collegiate Institute in Ottawa. Upon graduation, in 1940 Ms. Buckley went to work for the Bank of Canada in the War Savings Division. In 1943, Ms. Buckley enlisted with the Women's Royal Canadian Naval Service (WRCNS), where she reached the rank of Lieutenant upon discharge in 1946. During this period, she earned a B.A. from Queen's University in 1944.

Buggey, Susan

  • BUGG
  • Person
  • 1941-2015

Susan Buggey was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba on April 26, 1941. She graduated from United College (now the University of Winnipeg), obtained a certificate in Education from the University of Manitoba, and a Master of Arts in History from Dalhousie University. Susan Buggey joined Parks Canada in 1970 and became Director of Parks Canada's Historic Services where she developed the concept of cultural landscapes within She was a landscape historian who's work pertained to the concept of cultural landscapes within the Historic Sites program. She developed guidelines for UNESCO's World Heritage List for the inclusion of cultural landscapes. Buggey specialized in Aboriginal cultural landscapes.

Buggey taught historic landscape conservation and cultural landscapes at the University of Manitoba and the University of Victoria. After Retirement from Parks Canada she became an Adjunct professor in the School of Landscape Architecture at the University of Montreal. She was a Fellow of the Association for Preservation Technology and a founder of the Alliance for Historic Landscape Preservation.

Campus Plus

  • Corporate body
  • 1981-2013

CUP previously owned a multi-market ad placement agency, Canadian University Press Media Services Limited, operating as Campus Plus. It was established in 1981 and offered advertisers one-stop access to student newspapers. Campus Plus declared bankruptcy in 2013.

Canadian Officers' Training Corps

  • Corporate body

The Canadian Officers' Training Corps began November 1, 1912 and was based on the British pattern which was formed in 1908 to provide trained officers for use in national emergencies. The first contingent authorized in Canada was at McGill University.

The Carleton College Contingent of the Canadian Officers' Training Corps began February 25th, 1949. It was redesignated Carleton University Contingent June 28th, 1957 and disbanded May 31st, 1968. The COTC originally occupied three rooms on the second floor of the Student's Union Building of Carleton College from 1949-1951 and then moved to the fourth floor of the 1st Avenue Campus building, 1951-1959.

The Commanding Officers for the Carleton Contingent were:
Maj. Mayne, J.W. (1949-1951);
Maj. Kesterton, W.H. (1951-1956);
Maj. Holmes, J.M. (1956-1968)
Capt. Birchall (1960-1961)

Canadian University Press

  • Corporate body
  • 1938-present

Canadian University Press is a national, non-profit co-operative that was formed in 1938. Their mandate is to unite, strengthen and support the Canadian student press. It is owned and operated by student newspapers across Canada, and is a vehicle by which those newspapers exchange stories and ideas. Although once English only, it is now a bilingual organization: its French language branch is Presse universitaire canadienne. It provides a news wire service comprised of original content (contributed by member papers and CUP staff), a graphics exchange, a national advertising agency, resource material, a style guide, listservs, membership newsletters, and various employment, internship, mentorship and networking opportunities, as well as discounted conferences. Content is edited by the national bureau chief, and is then made available for publication in member papers. The annual conference also constitutes the annual general meeting.
Canadian University Press is divided into six regions: WRCUP (Western, including B.C. and the Yukon); PNCUP (Prairies and Northern, including Alberta, Manitoba, Northwest Territories, Nunavut and Saskatchewan); ORCUP (Ontario); CUPbeq (Quebec); ARCUP (Atlantic, including New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia and P.E.I.); and PUC (Presse universitaire canadienne, including all French language members, regardless of geography).

Cardinal, Douglas

  • Person
  • 1934-

Douglas Cardinal was born in 1934, in Calgary, Alberta and is of M├ętis, Blackfoot and German descent. He began his architectural studies at the University of British Columbia and continued at the University of Texas, Austin. Influenced by his Aboriginal heritage, Cardinal's designs are organic and are meant to be in tandem with nature. Combined with his interest in human rights and sustainability, Cardinal's architectural contributions have transcended Canadian borders and have received international recognition. Douglas Cardinal has received numerous awards and honours, including being appointed an Officer of the Order of Canada, gold medals in architecture from the Royal Architectural Institute in Canada and the Union of Architects in Russia, and the Outstanding Professional Achievement Award, American Society of Landscape Architects, to name a few. He has also been awarded fourteen honourary doctorates from universities across Canada and the United States. Files containing many of Douglas Cardinal's most well-known projects are housed at the Carleton University Archives and Research Collections. These include files from the Saskatchewan Indian Federated College (SIFC), now called the First Nations University of Canada. This is the first and only First Nations university in Canada. Other projects include the York Administrative Centre, the Turning Stone Casino Hotel, Oneida Nation, located in Verona, New York, the Canadian Museum of Civilization and the National Museum of the American Indian. Douglas Cardinal applied his signature style of organic architecture to all these buildings, which are well-known architectural works on the international stage.

Carleton University. Board of Governors

  • Corporate body

The Board of Governors was established on June 18, 1942 when the Ottawa Association for the Advancement of Learning met and elected 21 Governors. The Board became the sole organization of Carleton College and its decisions were binding upon ratification by the Association. It was given responsibility for the government, conduct, and management of the College. The Board itself became self perpetuating and was relieved of the duty of having its actions ratified by the Association under the Carleton University Act of 1952. The Charter created a bicameral system where legal authority of the College was shared between the Board of Governors and a Senate. The Board retained financial control, making it the senior administrative body. The 1952 Act gave the Board the statutory obligation to conduct, manage, and control the work, affairs, and business of the College, its property and revenues. To achieve these objectives the Board was given the ability to make bylaws and the power to make personnel appointments including Chancellor, President and faculty deans. The Board also holds residual power over any duties not specifically assigned to the President or Senate. In 1968, the University Act was amended. Bowing to the New Student Government and pressure for reform, the structure of the Board changed to consist of the Chancellor and President as ex-officio members and 30 elected members. The new Act also provided for the establishment of the Executive Committee and a variety of standing committees. In 1976, a further revision of the Act created the existing standing committees of Audit, Finance, Personnel, and University Relations. By virtue of Bylaw 12 (D) the Board can also appoint other, functional, committees as it deems fit. This also occurred in 1976, with the creation of the Nominating and Building Program Committees. An Ad Hoc Committee established in 1983 examined the procedures and organization of the committee structure and the Board's relationship with the President. The Board was restructured with 32 members composed of faculty, staff, students, alumni, and lay members of the community, elected or nominated by their peers as Governors for terms of varying lengths. Since 1983, the Board of Governors has been responsible for personnel matters about individuals, negotiations with labour, government and private contractors, and financial campaign plans and strategy. In 1997 the Working Group on Administrative Renewal Report led to changes in the administrative structure of the Board office. The current Chair of the Board of Governors is Jacques J. M. Shore. The Secretary of the Board is Dr. Logan Atkinson.

Carleton University. Department of Geography

  • Corporate body

Instruction of geography began at the University, in 1949, and resulted in the creation of the Department of Geography in 1957 under the Faculty of Arts and Science, as a unit of Humanities and Social Science. In 1963, Geography became part of Division II of the Faculty of Arts and in 1976 joined the Faculty of Social Science. Since 1998, it has been known as the Department of Geography and Environmental Studies. Past Chief Officers include the following Chairmen; Gordon Clarke Merrill, 1957-1966; J. Peter Johnson Jr, 1966-1967 and acting Chairmen 1963-1964, 1972-1973; Philip E. Uren, 1967-1970; Ducan M. Anderson, 1970-1976; Thomas P. Wilkinson, 1976-1978 ; David B. Knight 1978-1981; Thomas P. Wilkinson, 1981-1986; A. I. Wallace, 1986-1988; David Bennett, 1988-1990; Michael F. Fox, 1990-1993; Vacant, 1993-1994; Michael W. Smith, 1994-1999.

Results 11 to 20 of 129