Showing 132 results

Authority record

Carleton University. Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering

  • Corporate body

The Bachelors Mechanical Engineering degree program began in the early 1960s and has formed a foundation for development of other Department programs and activities. From its beginnings, department research has spanned the entire technical scope of mechanical engineering, with Masters and PhD degrees offered since 1965. From its earliest days substantial aeronautical engineering activity has existed within the Department and in 1988 the undergraduate Aerospace program was introduced - the first fully dedicated Aerospace Engineering Bachelors degree program in Canada.

Carleton University. Department of University Communications

  • Corporate body

In 1949, the Alumni Association was founded to establish and maintain relations between the University and its alumni, in order to contribute to the development of Carleton University. During the 1950's the duties of the Information and Development Officer were performed by the Administrative Assistant to the President, Cecil V. Houston. This continued until 1961, when the Information Office was created. In 1974 the Alumni Association integrated into the Information and Development Offices. Information was responsible for all alumni fund-raising. While, in 1987, under the direction of Dr. Farquhar the areas of Development and Alumni fully combined to form the Development and Alumni Services. The Information Office was then renamed Public Relations and Information Services and the director of this office reported directly to the President. The office was responsible for all public relations programs and the University's relationship with the press. As well, it produced and published promotional and general printed material relating to Carleton University. This included This Week at Carleton and the annual President's Report. The Department of Public Relations and Information Services was renamed the Department of University Communications on February 1, 1997. Past Officers from the early years as the Alumni Association include a vacancy from 1949-1961, Shirley Gillespie as the Alumni Secretary (1961-1963) with her continuing as Information Officer and Alumni Secretary (1963-1950), Elizabeth Dorofi as the Alumni Secretary (1965-1966), Margaret MacDonald as Alumni Secretary (1966-1967), Brian A. Blevins as Alumni Executive Secretary (1967-1969), Brian P. Curley as Director of Alumni affairs (1969-1972) and J.E. Fraser as Executive Director (1972-1974). Past Officers of the Information Office include Cecil V. Houston as Administrative Assistant to the President (1953-1961), Douglas J. Horan as Information Officer (1961-1962), Shirley Gillespie as Information Officer and Alumni Secretary (1962-1967), Judy Patterson as Information Officer (1967-1968), Guy R. Simer as Information Officer (1968-1969), Donald M. Pattison as Information Officer (1969-1970), Judy Patterson as Information Officer (1970-1971), vacant between 1971-1972, Caroline Midgley as Information Officer (1972-1978) and Director of Information (1978-1980), R. Gerald McKee as Director of Information (1980-1982), vacant between 1982-1983, Patrick O'Brien as Director of Information (1983-1987) and Director of Public Relations and Information Services (1987-1997).

Carleton University. Development and Alumni Services

  • Corporate body

In 1949, the Alumni Association was founded to establish and maintain relations between the University and its alumni in order to contribute to the development of Carleton University. During the 1950's the duties of the Information and Development Officer were performed by the Administrative Assistant to the President, Cecil V. Houston. This continued until the position of Development Officer was created in 1957. Mr. Houston functioned as Information Officer until 1961, when those responsibilities were assumed by the Information office. Development assumed responsibility for the maintenance of alumni records and alumni fund-raising, while Information was responsible for all alumni programs and activities. In 1987, under Dr. Farquhar, the areas of development and alumni fully integrated to form Development and Alumni Services. The Director of this office reports directly to the President. The service has two primary functions. The development area is responsible for planning, organizing and directing programs seeking private support for Carleton University. Included among these programs are major national campaigns, the annual fund, bequests and deferred giving programs, scholarships and bursary programs, and the Associates of Carleton. The alumni area monitors the programs and services of the Alumni Association to ensure that their activities are in the best interest of the University and that they run smoothly. They sponsor reunions and organize special events for all members. Included in these events are homecoming weekend, branch and chapter activities and send-offs. They are also responsible for publishing the quarterly Carleton University Magazine. Past officers of the Development Office include Cecil V. Houston (1953-1961) as the Administrative Assistant to the President, Donald S. Swain (1957-1961), a vacancy between 1961-1965, Michael D. Roberts (1965-1985). Past Alumni Officers include a vacancy between 1949-1971, Shirley Gillespie (1961-1965) as Information Officer and Alumni Secretary, Margaret MacDonald (1966-1967) as Alumni Secretary, Brian A. Blevins (1967-1969) as Alumni Secretary, Brian P. Curley (1969-1972) as Director of Alumni Affairs and J.E. Fraser (1972-1974) as Executive Director.

Carleton University. Educational Development Centre

  • Corporate body
  • 2002-

The Educational Development Centre is dedicated to the support of teaching at Carleton University. Located in 430 Tory Building, the Centre was established in 2002 with the amalgamation of Carleton University TV (previously iTV) and the Teaching and Learning Resource Centre (TLRC). Two years later, the Centre's activities expanded with the addition of Instructional Media Services (IMS). The goal of the Centre is to provide technological and pedagogical teaching tools and resources to faculty, instructors and Teaching Assistants.

Carleton University. Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. School of Canadian Studies

  • Corporate body

The Institute of Canadian Studies was established in 1957 as an administrative unit of the Division of Humanities and Social Sciences of the Faculty of Arts and Science. In 1963, the Institute became part of Division I of the Faculty of Arts, where it remained until 1976. In 1976, the Faculty of Arts separated into two faculties; the Faculty of Arts and the Faculty of Social Sciences, with the Institute of Canadian Studies joining the Faculty of Arts. In 1992, the Institute became the School of Canadian Studies. Past Chief Officers include the following Directors; Robert L, McDougall, 1960-1965; Marcel Trudel, 1965-1966; Robert L. McDougall, 1966-1967; Pauline Jewett, 1967-1973; Davidson Dunton, 1973-1978; vacant from 1978-1979; S.F. Wise, 1979-1982; Richard T. Clippingdale, 1982-1984; Jill McCalla Vickers (Acting), 1984-1985; Richard T. Clippingdale, 1985-1988; Jill McCalla Vickers, 1988-1992; Stanley McMullin, 1992-1995; Pat Armstrong, 1995-1998; the current Chief Officer is Andre Loiselle 2008-2011, Director.

Carleton University. Faculty of Public Affairs. School of Social Work

  • Corporate body

The School of Social Work Welfare of St. Patrick's College was established in 1948 as a graduate school of the University of Ottawa. In 1967, St. Patrick's College integrated with the Faculty of Arts and formed a new division: School of Social Work. Currently, the School of Social Work operates under the Faculty of Public Affairs.

Carleton University. MacOdrum Library

  • Corporate body

Carleton's first Library consisted of an assortment of books on the office shelves of the University's President Dr. Tory. For a time, the Bursar's staff ordered books and periodicals and the secretary typed catalogue cards. In 1948, the first University Librarian was appointed. The Librarian reported directly to the President until 1976, when the library became an administrative unit of the Office of the Vice-President (Academic). On March 1, 1995 the Library began reporting to the newly created position of Assistant Vice-President (Information Resources). Past Chief Officers include the following University Librarians; Hilda G. Gifford, 1948-1969; Vacant 1969-1970; Geoffrey H. Briggs, 1970-1991; Neil Brearley, 1991-1992; J. David Holmes, 1992-1995; and current Librarian Margaret Haines.

Carleton University. Office of the Dean of the Faculty of Engineering

  • Corporate body

The University began instruction in applied science and engineering in 1945, offering a two year Certificate i Engineering. In 1946, all courses in arts, pure and applied science and engineering were consolidated in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences and in 1952 engineering was made a department. In 1957, Engineering became a school within the Division of Science of the Faculty of Arts. In 1963, the University reorganized into four faculties; the Faculty of Arts, the Faculty of Science, the Faculty of Graduate Studies and the Faculty of Engineering. In 1974, the departments of the Faculty were formally established, recognizing divisions which had always existed within the Faculty. The Dean of Engineering has operational control of the teaching and research activities of the departments within the Faculty. Academic decisions are directed by the Faculty Board, comprising the Dean as head, all faculty members and a representative group of students. The current Dean of the Faculty of Engineering & Design is Dr. Rafik Goubran.

Carleton University. Office of the President

  • Corporate body

This office was established in 1942 by the Ottawa Association for the Advancement of Learning, the body which founded Carleton College. The President and Vice-Chancellor is the Chief Executive Officer of the University, and is appointed by the Board of Governors on the recommendation of the Senate, for a seven year term which may be renewed. The President is responsible to the Board of Governors to ensure the University functions in accordance with the policies enacted by the Board and Senate pursuant to their respective powers as set in the Carleton University Act of 1952. As such, the President attempts to reconcile the academic direction of the institution and the demands of finance and administration.
Functions of the President include providing overall leadership, presenting the annual budget and making recommendations to the Board and Senate. He or she is an ex officio member of the Senate, Board of Governors, and all faculty boards and may also perform the function of Chancellor should a vacancy in the office exist. The secretariat for the Senior Planning Committee is in the Office of the President.
The current President is Dr. Roseann O'Reilly Runte (2008-Present). The past Presidents have included: Dr.Henry Marshall Tory (1942-1947), Dr. Murdoch Maxwell MacOdrum (1947-1955), Dr. James Alexander Gibson (1955-1956), Dr. Claude Thomas Bissell (1956-1958), Mr. Arnold Davidson Dunton (1958-1972), Dr. Michael Kelway Oliver (1972-1978), Dr. James Downey (Pro tempore, Jan-May 1979), Dr. William Edwin Beckel (1979-1989), Dr. Robin Hugh Farquhar (1989-1996), Dr. Richard Van Loon (1996 -2005), David Atkinson (2005-2006), Samy Mahmoud (Pro tempore, Nov. 2006- July 2008).

Results 21 to 30 of 132