Showing 14 results

Archival description
David Farr fonds Series
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

Carleton College

Series consists of correspondence with students and academics, course offerings and schedules, Faculty meeting minutes, pamphlets, memoranda, and newspaper clippings created and accumulated by Dr. Farr while lecturing at Carleton College. Also included 2 photographs of original staff of the College taken in 1992.

Carleton College was founded in 1942 by local businessmen and civil servants who believed education was a worthy cause. They hoped to broaden the career opportunities for young people by offering evening classes which would make it possible for them to better themselves. As a result of the Second World War, the Federal Government expanded as both men and women relocated to Ottawa to fill government positions. With this influx of person(s), an excellent opportunity arose to establish a post-secondary school institution; the first post- secondary school institution established in Ontario since the nineteenth century. With the end of the war, Carleton College began to expand and one year later Dr. Farr was appointed lecturer in history and lectured between 1947-1952, after which he was appointed Assistant Professor until 1957. One year later Dr. Farr was appointed lecturer in history and lectured between 1947-1952, after which he was appointed Assistant Professor until 1957.

The Carleton Library (Carleton University Press)

Series consists of correspondence, Board meeting minutes, and pamphlets which relate to the administration, selection process, and publications of Carleton Library. This material was created and accumulated by Dr. Farr while a member of the Editorial Board.

The Carleton Library, also known as Carleton University Press, is a venture launched by the Institute of Canadian Studies in 1963; the first publication project of its kind in Canada. The purpose of the Library is to publish and make available inexpensive paperback editions of important works in the fields of Canadian history, politics, economics, anthropology, sociology, geography and journalism. As a member of the Editorial Board, Dr. Farr aided in the selection of publications for Carleton Library.

Personal Files

Series consists of records which Dr. Farr has collected over the past thirty-eight years. The records contain correspondence and newspaper clippings relating to P.B. Waite's honourary degree and Arnold Davidson Dunton, the history of archives in Canada, obituary notices, a signed yearbook, other miscellaneous newspaper clippings, articles and memorabilia.

University Affiliated Committees

Series consists of records created and accumulated by Dr. Farr while participating in the various committees.

Dr. Farr has participated in numerous university committees during his years at Carleton College, and later Carleton University. Such organizations have been the Academic Planning Committee, Interfaith Committee, Promotions Committee and Search Committee, and other affiliated committees.

Non-University Affiliated Committees

The series consists of correspondence, and records relating to administrative activities, Board minutes, conferences which were created and accumulated by Dr. Farr while participating in the various committees.

Dr. Farr has been involved in various committees dedicated to the advocacy of Canadian history, both locally and nationally. Among these include the Canadian Historical Association, Canadian Centenary Council, and the Historical Advisory Council. His participation in such groups varied between committee and jury member, and chairman.

Biographical and obituary information

The series consists of records written and accumulated by David Farr about various colleagues at Carleton University, for both promotional endeavours and as obituaries.

Carleton University

Series consists of correspondence with students and academics, course offerings and schedules, Faculty meeting minutes, invitations, pamphlets, memoranda, staff photos and newspaper clippings accumulated and created by Dr. Farr while at Carleton University.

In 1957, Carleton College changed its name to Carleton University. Students enrolled in great numbers and the institution moved to a new campus. Dr. Farr's responsibilities gradually increased as his academic and administrative career developed; Associate Professor (1957-1961); Visiting Associate Professor (1957-1958, 1960); Professor (1961-1987); Dean of Arts (1963- 1969); Professor Emeritus (1987).

Department of History

Series consists of correspondence with students and academics, course material, departmental meetings, invitations, pamphlets, and reports. The material was created created and accumulated by Dr. Farr while lecturing in the History Department..

Carleton University began instruction in history in 1942. In 1952, the Department of History was created as an administrative unit of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. In 1957 the Faculty divided into two divisions; the Division of Sciences, and the Division of Humanities and Social Sciences. The Department of History joined the Division of Social Sciences. Then the University reorganized into four faculties including the Faculty of Arts in 1963, with the History Department joining the Faculty of Arts where it remained until 1976. In 1976, the Faculty of Arts divided into two faculties; the Faculty of Arts and the Faculty of Social Sciences, and history became a department of the Faculty of Arts. Dr. Farr began teaching history at Carleton as a Lecturer (1947), became Assistant Professor and Chairman (1952-1957), Associated Professor (1957-1961), and full Professor in 1961.

Faculty of Graduate Studies

Series consists of correspondence with students and academics, course offerings, Faculty Graduate Board meetings, memorandums pertaining to the Faculty of Graduate Studies. This material was created and accumulated by Dr. Farr while lecturing at Carleton University.

In 1954, a Senate Committee on Graduate Studies met to consider the acceptance of candidates for Masters programs. This Committee which became the School of Graduate Studies in 1960, was created as an administrative unit of the Faculty of Arts and Science. In 1963, when Carleton reorganized into four faculties the Faculty of Graduate Studies was created. Eleven years later, the name of the Faculty changed to the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research. In addition to undergraduate responsibilities Dr. Farr's duties extended to include Graduate Studies.

Results 1 to 10 of 14