Part of David Farr fonds
Series consists of correspondence with students and academics, course offerings and schedules, Faculty meeting minutes, pamphlets, memoranda, and newspaper clippings created and accumulated by Dr. Farr while lecturing at Carleton College. Also included 2 photographs of original staff of the College taken in 1992.
Carleton College was founded in 1942 by local businessmen and civil servants who believed education was a worthy cause. They hoped to broaden the career opportunities for young people by offering evening classes which would make it possible for them to better themselves. As a result of the Second World War, the Federal Government expanded as both men and women relocated to Ottawa to fill government positions. With this influx of person(s), an excellent opportunity arose to establish a post-secondary school institution; the first post- secondary school institution established in Ontario since the nineteenth century. With the end of the war, Carleton College began to expand and one year later Dr. Farr was appointed lecturer in history and lectured between 1947-1952, after which he was appointed Assistant Professor until 1957. One year later Dr. Farr was appointed lecturer in history and lectured between 1947-1952, after which he was appointed Assistant Professor until 1957.