Print preview Close

Showing 14 results

Archival description
David Farr fonds Series
Print preview View:

Biographical and obituary information

The series consists of records written and accumulated by David Farr about various colleagues at Carleton University, for both promotional endeavours and as obituaries.

Carleton College

Series consists of correspondence with students and academics, course offerings and schedules, Faculty meeting minutes, pamphlets, memoranda, and newspaper clippings created and accumulated by Dr. Farr while lecturing at Carleton College. Also included 2 photographs of original staff of the College taken in 1992.

Carleton College was founded in 1942 by local businessmen and civil servants who believed education was a worthy cause. They hoped to broaden the career opportunities for young people by offering evening classes which would make it possible for them to better themselves. As a result of the Second World War, the Federal Government expanded as both men and women relocated to Ottawa to fill government positions. With this influx of person(s), an excellent opportunity arose to establish a post-secondary school institution; the first post- secondary school institution established in Ontario since the nineteenth century. With the end of the war, Carleton College began to expand and one year later Dr. Farr was appointed lecturer in history and lectured between 1947-1952, after which he was appointed Assistant Professor until 1957. One year later Dr. Farr was appointed lecturer in history and lectured between 1947-1952, after which he was appointed Assistant Professor until 1957.

Carleton International

Series consists of newspaper clippings and reports relating to Carleton International. This material was created and accumulated by Dr. Farr as a participant in Carleton International and as Director of the Paterson Centre for International Affairs.

Established as an administrative unit of Graduate Studies and Research, Carleton International (named the Paterson Centre for International Programs until 1986), co-ordinated academic exchanges between Carleton and universities throughout the world and, identified and informed the university community of international academic opportunities. After the name change in 1986, Carleton International's activities as a "foreign office" expanded to include greeting visitors from the international community and negotiating contracts and grants from agencies dealing with international issues. As a specialist in Canadian external relations, Dr. Farr joined Carleton International to work towards these efforts. In 1979 Dr. Farr was appointed Director of the Paterson Centre for International Affairs.

Carleton University

Series consists of correspondence with students and academics, course offerings and schedules, Faculty meeting minutes, invitations, pamphlets, memoranda, staff photos and newspaper clippings accumulated and created by Dr. Farr while at Carleton University.

In 1957, Carleton College changed its name to Carleton University. Students enrolled in great numbers and the institution moved to a new campus. Dr. Farr's responsibilities gradually increased as his academic and administrative career developed; Associate Professor (1957-1961); Visiting Associate Professor (1957-1958, 1960); Professor (1961-1987); Dean of Arts (1963- 1969); Professor Emeritus (1987).

Department of History

Series consists of correspondence with students and academics, course material, departmental meetings, invitations, pamphlets, and reports. The material was created created and accumulated by Dr. Farr while lecturing in the History Department..

Carleton University began instruction in history in 1942. In 1952, the Department of History was created as an administrative unit of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. In 1957 the Faculty divided into two divisions; the Division of Sciences, and the Division of Humanities and Social Sciences. The Department of History joined the Division of Social Sciences. Then the University reorganized into four faculties including the Faculty of Arts in 1963, with the History Department joining the Faculty of Arts where it remained until 1976. In 1976, the Faculty of Arts divided into two faculties; the Faculty of Arts and the Faculty of Social Sciences, and history became a department of the Faculty of Arts. Dr. Farr began teaching history at Carleton as a Lecturer (1947), became Assistant Professor and Chairman (1952-1957), Associated Professor (1957-1961), and full Professor in 1961.

Faculty of Graduate Studies

Series consists of correspondence with students and academics, course offerings, Faculty Graduate Board meetings, memorandums pertaining to the Faculty of Graduate Studies. This material was created and accumulated by Dr. Farr while lecturing at Carleton University.

In 1954, a Senate Committee on Graduate Studies met to consider the acceptance of candidates for Masters programs. This Committee which became the School of Graduate Studies in 1960, was created as an administrative unit of the Faculty of Arts and Science. In 1963, when Carleton reorganized into four faculties the Faculty of Graduate Studies was created. Eleven years later, the name of the Faculty changed to the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research. In addition to undergraduate responsibilities Dr. Farr's duties extended to include Graduate Studies.

Institute of Canadian Studies

Series consists of correspondence with students and academics, conference and course materials, meeting minutes, memorandums, pamphlets, and reports which reflect Dr. Farr's teaching and administrative responsibilities for the Institute of Canadian Studies.

The Institute of Canadian Studies was established in 1957 as an administrative unit of the Division of Humanities and Social Sciences of the Faculty of Arts and Science. In 1963, when the University reorganized into four faculties, the Institute of Canadian Studies became part of the Faculty of Arts, where it remained until 1976. When the Faulty of Arts separated into two faculties; the Faculty of Arts and the Faculty of Social Science, the Institute of Canadian Studies joined the Faculty of Arts. In 1992, the Institute became the School of Canadian Studies. As professor of Canadian history and as Dean of Arts (1963-1969), Dr. Farr's teaching and administrative responsibilities extended to include the Institute of Canadian Studies.

National Associations

Series consists of associations' Board meeting minutes, briefs, bulletins, correspondence, invitations, membership lists, memorandums, pamphlets, and reports. This material was created and accumulated by Dr. Farr while he was a member of these National associations.

Since 1962, Dr. Farr has been involved in several associations which foster and promote research, scholarship and enjoyment of the arts, humanities, and social sciences within Canada. Some of these associations include the Canadian Institute of International Affairs, Canada Council, the Social Science Research Council of Canada and Social Science Federation Research Council of Canada.

Non-University Affiliated Committees

The series consists of correspondence, and records relating to administrative activities, Board minutes, conferences which were created and accumulated by Dr. Farr while participating in the various committees.

Dr. Farr has been involved in various committees dedicated to the advocacy of Canadian history, both locally and nationally. Among these include the Canadian Historical Association, Canadian Centenary Council, and the Historical Advisory Council. His participation in such groups varied between committee and jury member, and chairman.

Results 1 to 10 of 14