Series consists of minutes, proposals, candidate lists, correspondence, and letter log created and accumulated by Dr. McDougall while he was Director of the Institute for Canadian Studies. The series includes a report to the University College, University of Toronto about establishing a Canadian Studies undergrad at University College, University of Toronto.
The Institute of Canadian Studies was established in 1957 as an administrative unit of the Division of Humanities and Social Sciences of the Faculty of Arts and Science. In 1963, when the University reorganized into four faculties, the Institute of Canadian Studies became part of the Faculty of Arts, where it remained until 1976. When the Faculty of Arts separated into two faculties, the Faculty of Arts and the Faculty of Social Science, the Institute of Canadian Studies joined the Faculty of Arts. In 1992, the Institute became the School of Canadian Studies.