Fonds OLC - Ottawa Ladies' College fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Ottawa Ladies' College fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

OLC

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1870-1951 (Creation)
    Creator
    Ottawa Ladies College

Physical description area

Physical description


  • 0.48 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1869-1942)

Administrative history

The Ottawa Ladies College was established in 1869 by Henry Franklin Bronson. The aim of the College, according to its mandate, was to develop strong, intelligent and cultured women, with enrolment beginning at grade one. There was also an opportunity for a more continuing education with the girls remaining at the College into their late adolescence. Among the more prominent figures involved with the Ottawa Ladies College was H.M Tory who was President in the late 1930s and early 1940s. Tory became the first President of Carleton College in 1942. In 1914 the Ottawa Ladies College opened the doors to its new facility on First Avenue, in the Glebe. During the Second World War, the College was turned over to The Department of National Defence. In 1946 the building was declared surplus by the Department of National Defence and was purchased for the use of Carleton College.

Custodial history

Records were transferred to the archives from the Library Special Collection and Archives in January 2006.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records created and accumulated by the Ottawa Ladies' College. There are six series that comprise the fonds: Ephemera; General correspondence; Legal records; Minutes; Financial records, Miscellaneous files.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Generated finding aid

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Ottawa Ladies' College Calendar (1916) and correspondence is also found in the Ruth Bates fonds, box A-982.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres